Sunday, September 12, 2010

Happy Birthday, Nature Goddess!



What a wonderful surprise! A female Promethea Moth. On one of those warm summer nights, this gorgeous female Promethea Moth flew to the light at my backdoor. I saw the shadow from inside and raced out to see what Saturniidae moth it could have been. She flew right onto my shoulder. I imagined she must have finished mating and would find a host plant to lay her eggs. The next day I looked under the Lilac, Sassafras, Apple, and Peach tree leaves to see if I could find her eggs. No luck. I will have to wait for winter to look for a cocoon. The story continues though. On my birthday, which was a few days later, I woke up and went outside and there she was listless and lethargic , tattered and ragged. It appeared her life was over and she had fulfilled her duties of laying her eggs. She died a few hours later. I saved her to show the small children I teach. A lovely gift of nature for my birthday. I will treasure her.
If you want to know more about Promethea Moths click on the suggested link.

3 comments:

  1. Cool photo...nature geek! I have never seen a Prometha Moth. I usually get sphinx moths hanging on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://video.kids.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/kids/animals-pets-kids/bugs-kids/butterflies-kids.html

    Here is a great video about the butterfly life cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost cried when I saw how beautiful this moth is! What majestic colors and patterns...my favorite color of course is red!

    ReplyDelete